Pelvic pain refers to the discomfort and pain you may feel in the lower abdominal area of your body. The pain may not be contained there, but can in fact radiate into your lower back, buttocks and thighs, depending on the cause or source of the pain. Pelvic pain in women is most often traced to the reproductive system, digestive system, urinary system or musculoskeletal system. Pelvic pain should always be evaluated with a thorough consultation and examination by a physician for an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan as it may be a symptom or sign of a serious illness or condition.
Symptoms that fall under pelvic pain vary a great deal because there are so many possible sources of this symptom and several body systems to check. Pain may be:
- Dull or sharp
- Intermittent or constant
- Mild, moderate or severe
- Localized — that is, in one specific area, as opposed to radiating pain
- Sudden, built over time, acute, sharp or constant — constant pain is referred to as chronic pain, which is pain that has been present for at least 12 weeks or several months
- Present only with certain movements or situations, such as pelvic pain during sex
- Described as pelvic cramps
In the event that the pain is acute and persistent, you should make an appointment to see your local gynecologist in NYC or gyn doctor right away.
Gynecologist Dr. Zelmanovich of Manhattan Women’s Health & Wellness offer a comprehensive Obstetrics & Gynecology care in NYC for women of all ages. At our obgyn clinic of we provide a full range of gynecology services, from annual check-ups and routine pap smears to Pelvic Pain treatment and gyn procedures, surgeries performed in our office or in the hospital. Our state of the art gynecology
NYC facility equipped with a latest obgyn equipment.
What Causes Pelvic Pain?
Since pelvic pain can stem from one of several systems, there are a variety of causes, usually narrowed down by pain type, including:
- Appendicitis, which is typically felt on your right side
- Inguinal hernia
- Kidney stones
- Urinary tract
- Colon cancer
- Chronic constipation
- Crohn’s disease
- Painful bladder syndrome
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Pelvic floor muscle spasms
- Ulcerative colitis
- Past physical trauma or abuse, sometimes resulting in pubic bone pain which is common with sports injuries
- Past sexual abuse
Female Pelvic Pain
A woman may experience pelvic pain that is derived from the reproductive system. It can stem from:
- Adenomyosis, which is when cells from the uterine wall begin growing within the uterine muscle itself, continuing to grow, break down and shed every month, causing pain and periods that are heavy and painful
- Endometriosis, which is when cells from the uterine wall, called the endometrium, begin to grow on the outside of the uterine wall. This often is very painful. It can also impact other organs, such as your ovaries, fallopian tubes and the tissues of your pelvic area.
- Menstrual cramps, which can present as sharp pain in vaginal area
- Tubal pregnancy, is a common cause of pelvic pain during pregnancy and happens when a fetus begins developing in your fallopian tubes
- Ovulation pains, which differ from appendicitis pains; this is often felt as lower left abdominal pain in women, as opposed to the pains on the right felt with appendicitis
- Ovarian cysts or cancer
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID), a sexually transmitted bacterium that spreads from your vagina into the female reproductive organs; PID is often present without symptoms
- Uterine fibroids
- Vulvodynia, or chronic vaginal pain without a clear root cause
- Vaginitis, an inflammation of your vagina that can be caused by a viral infection, an STD or a yeast infection
- Vaginismus, whereby anything that enters the vagina causes pain, even when trying to use a tampon or during a medical exam
Dr. Zelmanovich is dedicated to providing patients with the highest clinical care and the best surgical outcomes. She is one of the best obgyn nyc and gynecological surgeons in NYC — and one of the few gynecologists in NYC and in the United States — performing robotic gynecological surgery.
Dr. Zelmanovich of Gynecology NYC is active in research. She is a member of American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and American Association of Gynecological Laparoscopy.
She has been actively involved in training and proctoring residents and other physicians in her division. Dr. Zelmanovich completed her Post Graduate training at Tel-Aviv University and her residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Albert Einstein College of Medicine.
Minimally Invasive Surgery
Robotic and laparoscopic Surgery
Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
OBGYN Conditions Treated
Dr. Zelmanovich treats a wide variety of gynecological conditions including:
Chronic pelvic pain
Pelvic organ prolapse
Abnormal uterine bleeding
Treatments and Procedures
Dr. Zelmanovich offers a number of gynecology treatments and procedures such as:
Robotic myomectomy and hysterectomy
Pelvic floor reconstruction
Dr. Anat Zelmanovich is one of the only obgyn nyc and gynecological surgeons in NYC — and one of the few in the United States — performing robotic gynecological surgery. She is a diplomat of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, a member of American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and American Association of Gynecological Laparoscopy. Dr. Zelmanovich at NYC gynecology center is dedicated to providing patients with the highest clinical care and the best surgical outcomes.